The DBA is responsible for the development and implementation of optimal solutions to transform, integrate, store, secure, process and update large real-world healthcare data assets for use by statistical programmers, data scientists and other data analysts.
Relevant database administration experience includes:
• Extensive knowledge of developing data pipelines using real-world healthcare data including claims and electronic medical records.
• Experience with one or more of the following commercial databases: MarketScan, Optum, DRG, Flatiron, JMDC, CPRD.
• Experience with the OMOP data model and optimization of healthcare data for observational research or epidemiology analysis use cases.
• Familiarity with medical coding, such as ICD-9, ICD-10, LOINC, NDC, CPT/HCPCS, SNOMED.
• Familiarity with big data processing platforms including Hadoop, AWS S3 and Databricks.
• Experience with enterprise support models for data management, security, database programming, service delivery, performance monitoring, and user support standards.
• Experience with conversion of raw data in ASCII or other formats into OMOP, Parquet or others, and storage in HDFS or S3.
• Troubleshooting data errors and developing mitigation plans.
• Strong communication skills for describing issues with data and potential remedies.
Candidates must have excellent SAS programming skills and the ability to implement complex data step logic. Alternatively, the candidate will be highly proficient with Python or SQL and is able to implement and troubleshoot complex ETL and QC programs.
Strong documentation, communication, and time management skills are essential.
Experience with database tuning techniques such as normalization, indexing, and parallel processing technologies is desirable as is experience with scripting languages such as Unix shell scripts and PERL.
Additional responsibilities include the following:
• Ensuring data are consistent across the database
• Minimizing redundancy across the database
• Checking variable values for reasonableness
• Develop database tools to improve database efficiency and utility
• Building data pipelines for access to research data
• Managing vendor relations and communication
• Bachelor’s degree in in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Life Sciences or other relevant scientific subject.
• Minimum four (4) years relevant data asset curation experience (description above)
• Training or experience using the OMOP common data model
• Experience with real world healthcare data, such as MarketScan, Optum, PharMetrics, Medicare and/or EMR databases
• Masters degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Computer Science, or other subject with high statistical content
• Eight (8) or more years relevant data asset curation experience (description above)
• Experience in a regulated environment
• Vendor relations management
• Pharmaceutical industry experience
• Experience with ETL software, specifically SnapLogic
• Training or experience with the Hadoop database platform and Impala or Hive SQL
• Experience in software development & design life cycle, ideally using Agile methodology
• Computer programming with SAS, R, Python or other procedural languages
• Database transformation, testing, cleaning and quality control using SQL
• Understanding of computer operating systems, including cloud-based Databricks and UNIX
• Software development and design
• Technical excellence
• Problem solving
• Attention to detail
• Oral and written communication